Experience the Taste of the Trail on the three Saturdays after Labor Day in September from 10am to 2pm.
Each community will give you a “Taste” of their town with different activities, food, music and much more! Enjoy what is special about each community while you pedal your way through the beauty of Bluff County along the Root River.
PETERSON, WHALAN & LANESBORO
- PETERSON – Download the Peterson Taste of the Trail information.
- WILDLIFE and FARM LIFE
Live Trout Display – Peterson DNR State Fish Hatchery,
Bluebird Supplies and Information – Bluebird Recovery Program,
Birding Hotspot Information Near Peterson
Live Fox Snake and Rattlesnake Information – Whitewater DNR Guide 1-2 PM
Small Farm Animals presented by Fillmore County 4-H Horse Project
Fresh Produce sold by Featherstone Farms
Photo Opportunities with our 8 ½ Foot “Nisse” Gunnar and Gustav!
Gnome Pottery Demonstration and Sales – by Jason Charron
Paint Peterson Rocks – You paint, we hide, others find!
Music by CAT AND THE FIDDLE
$1 Hot Dogs, Brats, Popcorn, Cold Beverages
Peterson Station Museum
- All THINGS ZUCCHINI – Prizes: Oil Change and Gift Certificate to IL Luigi’s.
Carving Contest (Bring your own Entry or we supply zucchinis and some tools).
Zucchini Bread Contest– Bring 2 loaves and recipe!
Rommegrot and Lefse – by Grace Lutheran Church
GORO – A delicious “old Norwegian Christmas Cookie – demonstrated by Diane Fossum-Martin in City Hall
Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream – at Geneva’s Ice Cream Shoppe
Fall Beers – Peterson American Legion
- WILDLIFE and FARM LIFE
Taste the culture and cuisine of Whalan. Free Taste Testing of local favorites including fresh lefse, rommegrot and pie from the Aroma Pie Shoppe. Music by Charlie Warner. Venders offering locally produced items. Treat yourself to a Brat or Hot Dog. Visit Whalan’s Museum and Ernie’s restored 1917 Filling Station.
Come to Historic Downtown Lanesboro where you will experience:
- Houston Bicycle Artist, Nate Bailey displaying art in front of participating locations
- Shop give-a-ways like Bicycle charms, pens, stickers, etc.
- Restaurant and Inn food samples
- Fall Craft Beer and Wine Fest All Day
- Kid’s Art Activities
HARMONY, PRESTON & FOUNTAIN
Join us at the Harmony Trailhead from 10am-2pm to experience the Taste of Harmony. Enjoy food samples from various local establishments, learn about our new Harmony Freenotes Park installation, enjoy live music by Charlie Warner from 11am-1pm, and have a free photo taken at the Miss Harmony run photo booth, sponsored by Bluff Country Computer Works and Harmony Telephone.
- PRESTON – Download the Preston Taste of the Trail information.
- Join us at the Preston Trailhead Park and take a tour through downtown Preston!
- LIVE MUSIC – The Young and Old Timers will be playing at Trailhead Park from 11am-1pm
- SHOP – Venture up the hill to Fillmore Street for the Preston Pop-Up Market from 9am-1pm! PLUS check out our shops downtown.
- EAT – Samples from local establishments at Trailhead Park and make your way to Sweet Stop and Sandwich Shoppe, B&B Bowl, Branding Iron Restaurant or Trout City Brewing for lunch!
- HERITAGE – Sample Norwegian goodies from the Christ Lutheran Church in Preston at the Trailhead and take a tour of the Caboose with the Preston Historical Society at the Historic Campus.
- FUN – Try out Japanese Gyotaku Fish Painting with the National Trout Center at the Trailhead and learn about all things Trout with the Driftless Fly Fishing Company! Plus they will have some trout to sample.
- Get a taste of Fountain by patronizing Karst Brewing, The Village Square of Fountain, Beaver Bottoms Saloon and the newest restaurant, AJ’s Diner!
RUSHFORD AREA & HOUSTON
- RUSHFORD AREA
- Meet us at the Rushford Historic Depot along the Root River Trail to begin savoring the flavors of the area. You’ll also receive a “tasting map” to guide you through Rushford’s downtown to receive samples from several participating businesses and organizations.
- Live Music by TravAce Oppelt from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Pumpkin Games and Pumpkin Painting for kids, and purchase your pumpkins and gourds for the season!
- Free popcorn from the Rushford Lions Club
- Root River Trail t-shirts on sale
- Rushford Fire and Ambulance Services’ activities include an Auto Extrication Demonstration at 10 and noon; MedLink AIR helicopter lands at 1 p.m. and stays until 2 p.m. (weather and availability dependent); kids activities; coffee, cookies, and slushies.
- Historic Depot Tour of buildings or Self-Guided Historic Walking Tour of Rushford
- RUSHFORD AREA