Experience the Taste of the Trail
on the three Saturdays after Labor Day in September.
Each community will give you a “Taste” of their towns with different activities, food, music and much more! Enjoy what is special about each community while you pedal your way through the beauty of Bluff County along the Root River.
Saturday, September 11
- Music by Cat and the Fiddle 10:00 to 2:00
- $1 Hot Dogs
- Brats, Chips, Cold Beverages, Water, Popcorn
- Driftless Trading Post: Taste of Smoked Brisket
- Burdey’s Cafe: Taste of Kristen’s pies
- Legion: Taste of Fall
- Fall Bread Recipe Contest (USE ANY FALL PRODUCE)
- Featherstone Farms: Farmer’s Market
- Photo Opportunities with 8 1/2 foot gnomes!
- Tour the new addition to the Peterson Museum
Send your recipe to Friends of Peterson and one of the members will bake your bread and submit it. firstname.lastname@example.org
Come celebrate on September 11th from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm. Enjoy free samples of some local Norwegian favorites including Lefse and Rommegrot. Visit with friends while you listen to live music by Matt and Brenda Stier. Learn about the uniqueness of our Driftless area.
Plans subject to change due to Covid restrictions so check back prior to date.
Friday, September 10, 2021, at 6pm, for the Rhythms on the Root Live Music Series presented by Lanesboro Arts, which will feature artist Pieta Brown. Tickets are $10, and the performance is outdoors at Gateway Park.
Saturday, September 11, 2021, the annual Taste of the Trail and the Fall Beer and Wine Fest! Events include: local vendors, live music, kids activities, shopping, dining, theatre, drink specials, and more!
- The Lanesboro Farmers’ Market will be in Sylvan Park from 9am-12pm.
- From 10am-5pm, Coffee Street will feature local vendors, including authors Steve Harris and Barb Jeffers, history, cards and paper crafts, jewelry, flowers, CBD products, Lanesboro Arts kids’ activities, food and drinks from the Old Village Hall and Root River Saloon, and more.
- Live music will be offered at Root River Saloon and from the band Slippin’ Jimmy’s and guests.
- High Court Pub will feature live music at 7pm from Mike Munson.
- Granny’s Liquor will feature free sampling from 12pm-3pm
- the Commonweal Theatre will perform their new show “Come Back” at 7:30pm.
Whether on bike, car, motorcycle, or canoe, come to Lanesboro on September 10 and 11!
Saturday, September 18
- Pop-Up Market, Food Samples & Music | City Park
- New Fall Inventory & Giveaways | Shops & Boutiques
- Citywide Garage Sales | Contact the Chatfield News to add a sale: email@example.com
- History Museum Open | Public Library
- UPick Flowers | Berry & Bloom Farm, 6945 150th Ave SE
- Bruce Springsteen Tribute | Potter Auditorium | 7:30p
Activities at the Trailhead/park and will include demonstrations, samples, and instructions to visit various businesses Fountain. A few garage sales.
- Village square
- History Center
- Sugar Creek Winery
- First State Bank
- and more!
- Fall City Wide Garage Sales – Maps will be available on gethookedonpreston.com or at the Preston Visitor’s Center
- Watch the tractors take off for the Preston Historical Society’s Tractor Ride at 9am from the Fillmore County Fairgrounds Saturday and Sunday!
- Preston Pop Up Market – 9am-1pm – Downtown Preston – Shop with more than 20 vendors and stop by the pop-up Tourism Booth to take a selfie with the BIG Trout!
- Check out the Self-Guided Historic Walking Tour and 9-Hole Fishing Course. Maps and brochures available at the Preston Visitor’s Center!
- Tour the Preston Historical Society’s Caboose & Elevator at the Trailhead from 10am-2pm!
- Hiawatha Trout Unlimited FREE Fly Casting Instruction for kids or adults down at Trailhead Park – 10am-Noon
- Orvis Fly Fishing 101 Class 9am-1pm – Driftless Fly Fishing Co. – More info at minnesotaflyfishing.com
- Preston Rocks Library Story Hour and Rock Painting – 9am-11am – Preston Public Library
- Preston Fire Department Dance and Raffle – The Club – Time and a Half Band 8pm-Midnight – Raffle Drawing @ 10pm
- Historic Forestville Tours and Family Yard Games – 10am-4pm – mnhs.org/Forestville
- Grab some Tastes of Preston from Trout City Brewing (open early for coffee), Preston Foods, Branding Iron, B&B Bowl and Preston Liquor
- Stop by The Club for a Bloody Mary starting at 10am or grab a Pulled Pork Sandwich at 11am. Help support our local Veteran Organizations!
- Shop for Fall at Preston Floral, Baukol’s Woodworks, JuliaClaire, Urban Artifacts, Blossom Hill Orchard and Hoffmann Tack Shop!
- City-wide Garage Sales Friday and Saturday – Maps available at Harmony Foods, Kwik Trip and Harmony Visitor Center
- Mini-Shop Hop Friday, Saturday and Sunday ~ Pick up a card at a participating business or visitor center and get a punch in each column to be entered into a prize drawing
- Niagara Cave Tours Friday, Saturday and Sunday
- Amish Tours Friday and Saturday
- Historic Walking Tour – Pick up Map at Visitor Center
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Family games/activities at the Visitor Center (Bubble station, sidewalk chalk, bean bags and more)
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Photo Booth/Selfie Station at the visitor center
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Open House at McMichael Grain Elevator – Harmony Historical Society
- 10 a.m. Fall Vendor Show at Tin, Rust & Harmony
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Samples and Specials on Main Street and throughout Business District
Saturday, September 25
Rushford Area – 10am to 2pm
Start at the Rushford Historic Depot/Visitors Center and find:
- Live Music by Travis Oppelt, 11-2
- Pumpkins and gourds for sale
- Activities for kids
- Fresh, free popcorn from the Rushford Lions Club
- Rushford Fire Department Open House, right next door
- Book signing by local author Cassie Hungerholt Meyer
- Rushford Area History
Grab a map to local businesses offering a “taste” around town:
- Nordic Lanes & Lounge
- The Creamery
- Stumpy’s Restaurant
- Norsland Lefse – you betcha, it’s lefse samples
- Pam’s Corner Convenience
- Jessie Street Java
- Rushford Public Library
Houston’s Taste of the Trail event this year
will once again be celebrated with a Block Party.
The event will run from 11 a.m.-6 p.m. on the 25th
We have plans for live music, food and activities put on by local businesses and organizations, and will also include a wine and craft beer tasting for those of age, of course. It all takes place at the paved alley and parking lot running behind JT’s Bar & Grill (which is at 125 E Cedar St, Houston, MN 55943).
In case of inclement weather, it will be held under the shelter at the Houston Hoedown Fest Grounds accessible off of Cedar St.