In 1988, the towns along the Root River and the Root River State Bike Trail System came together and formed the Root River Trail Towns organization and in 2015 became a 501(c)(3). The mission of the Root River Trail Towns is “To promote the Root River State Bike Trail System as a regional destination, and to link people to an outdoor experience while fostering community connections.”
Our board of directors meet every month to discuss and plan regional marketing and trail promotions. We also collaborate, share ideas and serve as a resource to each other. The Root River Trail Towns consist of Chatfield, Fountain, Preston, Harmony, Lanesboro, Whalan, Peterson, Rushford Village, Rushford and Houston in southeast Minnesota.
The Root River Trail Towns organization only works to promote the region and does not own or operate the trail system. The Root River Trail System is owned and operated by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR). Questions about trail conditions, construction, or trail rules should be forwarded to the Minnesota DNR.
Board of Directors
- Gail Barnard-Boyum, President – Peterson
- Sara Sturgis, Vice-President – Chatfield
- Jen Hengel, Treasurer – Rushford Peterson Valley
- Colleen Foehrenbacher, Secretary – Fountain
- Jane Lewis & Lucas Johnson, Whalan
- Margaret Knutson – Houston
- Allison Whalen – Harmony
- Melissa VanderPlas – Lanesboro
- Vacancy – Preston
Our Regional Events
- 60-Mile Garage Sale – Started in 2015, city wide garage sales happening on the same weekend in nine communities.
- Autumn Trail – Started in 2012 as “Taste of the Trail”, a series of events held Saturdays in September.
- Trail Wide Clean-up Day – Started in 2015, a coordinated bike trail and community clean up in each town.